Thursday, March 30, 2006

Sorry I'm not here... Doctors, you know.

I'm going to start a discussion with this post... hopefully. I won't be there for the criticism, but, sadly, I think this excerpt from a song holds some truth.

Not only am I quoting the scenest of scene bands right now, I'm agreeing with them AND probably insulting half of the class... Sorry, prove me wrong.

From the song "I've Got A Dark Alley And A Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth" on Fall Out Boy's From Under The Cork Tree album, Pete Wentz wrote:

"And I want to be known for my hits, not just my misses
I took a shot and didn't even come close
At trust and love and hope
And the poets are just kids who didn't make it
And never had it at all."

Almost unwillingly, I totally agree with him. Not on the first 4 lines, but I was giving reference. He wants to be someone, and if he wasn't, his lyrics would be considered poetry, no? Or at least songs that never got put to music, and are lyrics separate? Technically it's rhyming meter in stanzas... But hey, I wouldn't know the details.

Poets are just kids who didn't make it and never had it at all.

When I think of writers, I don't think of poets, I think of novelists who wrote the great literature that defines my high school schedule. Granted, I like poetry and creative use of imagery and flow, but I can't see why anyone would want to just be a poet. With all of the **** that's already out there for reading, I think the last thing someone would want to go into is poetry.

I'm not saying poets have no talent for writing as he is, but I'm just wondering why if you have some sort of knack for prose, why not try and write one of the greats, something timeless (not saying poetry isn't timeless, though).

I don't know what I'm really trying to say, I've already waited too long to start my English paper... but I just thought that it'd spark a heated debate, and I'm kinda sad I'll miss it.

If it doesn't, well ****... I don't know what to do.

P.S. - If I continue writing, I'm going to be a poet by nature of lyrics, so I guess I'm a kid who never had it at all... But I just think that it's true: unless you're going for something different with your writing, poetry isn't much of a hit to base your writing around.

No comments: